Where your money goes
Your money saves lives in so many ways
Volunteers are the lifeblood of our charity, making up 95% of RNLI people. They give their time for free. But giving them everything they need, and deserve, to save lives at sea is costly.
Your money helps our lifeboat crews save lives quickly, safely and effectively
There are over 5,500 volunteer crew members and over 3,500 volunteer shore crew at 238 lifeboat stations around the UK and Ireland. They all rely on training, kit, rescue equipment, lifeboats and lifeboat stations to save lives at sea.
Your money helps our lifeguards prevent accidents before they happen and respond instantly when they do
Working alongside our volunteer lifeboat crews every summer are over 1,500 seasonal beach lifeguards. They patrol 248 beaches across the UK and Channel Islands and rely on training, kit, rescue equipment and lifeguard units to save lives.
This year, we are unable to have as many lifeguard patrols as usual. To find out how you can safely enjoy your visit to the coast, go to our beach safety page.
Your money helps our volunteers educate, raise awareness and keep people safe
Supporting our lifeboat crews and lifeguards are thousands of community volunteers - including safety, youth education, fundraising, shop and heritage volunteers - who rely on training and materials to raise awareness and money.
Your money helps us run a tight ship
All of our frontline volunteers are supported behind the scenes by teams of expert volunteers and staff, including engineers, boat builders, trainers, supporter carers, marketeers, press officers, IT technicians, HR advisers and more, all working as one RNLI crew to save lives at sea.
So, what percentage of donations go to charity?
For every £1/€1 donated, 85% (85p/85c) is used to fund our lifesaving activities. The remaining 15% (15p/15c) is used to generate funds so that we can continue to save lives at sea for years to come.
It cost £163.5M/€184.3M to run our lifesaving service in 2018. These running costs were divided up into the following areas:
|Lifesaving area||Percentage||Cost for every £1/€1 spent|
|Lifeboats, property and equipment||53%||53p/53c|
|Running the lifeboat service||27%||27p/27c|
|Safety, education and awareness||6%||6p/6c|
|International drowning prevention||2%||2p/2c|
Repair, renew, rebuild - our capital expenditure
Much of our income is used to keep our lifeboat crews ready for the next call for help. This includes constructing new lifeboats and the buildings which will house, protect and launch them. This spending is a vital investment in the future.
In 2018, we undertook 15 lifeboat station build projects. We also built 28 new lifeboats that are already in service and saving lives around our coasts.
Sustainability plays a big part in how charities use money wisely to make the best use of donations. In 2018, RNLI solar panels, heat pumps and a wind turbine generated a saving of around £129,800/€146,300.
What makes the RNLI one of the most efficient charities?
We make your generosity work harder
As a charity, we know only too well how much effort and thought goes in to raising every pound or euro which comes our way. And what a lifesaving difference every single pound and euro can make. That’s why we’re committed to being one of the most efficient charities by using funds in the most effective and efficient ways possible.
Being efficient with your donations will help us weather the storm
Right now, that need lies with our lifeboat crews, who are facing their toughest time ever. With more and more people needing their help, and too many still drowning, they have never been busier.
But our income is down. And if they have any hope of reaching people safely and in time, they need vital training, protective kit, well-equipped lifeboat stations and the fastest lifeboats. These things make all the difference when lives are on the line.
Every £1/€1 you donate will help them weather the storm and make a lifesaving difference. Not only to the people we rescue and their loved ones, but to the crew and their families too. And means we will be there for you and yours for generations to come.