Station history

1937

In January, the Institution decided to establish an additional station on the west coast of Scotland.  Tobermory was chosen as being the only practicable location on this part of the coast.

1938

Lifeboat ON801 Sir Arthur Rose was built for Tobermory at the yard of Alexander Robertson & Sons, Sandbank, Dunoon.  After building the boat was exhibited at the 1938 Empire Exhibition in Bellahouston Park, Glasgow, from May to October.

1947

The station closed because of manning difficulties.

1990

Station re-opened in May.

1991

Waveney class lifeboat withdrawn and replaced by Arun class.

1992

Lock-up garage and store adjacent to Mishnish Pier bought to provide improved crew facilities for the sum of £10,000.

1993

Garage was refurbished.  This work comprised of the conversion of the original five ground floor garages to form a separate office for HM Coastguard, housing for the boarding boat and improved crew facilities.

2000

New alongside berth completed.

2003

The new station Severn class lifeboat ON1270 Elizabeth Fairlie Ramsay was placed on service on 20 August 2003.  This lifeboat was funded by the legacies of Mrs E F Ramsay, Miss J T Towers & Mrs Isabel Paton Scoular.