Station history

1891

Lifeboat house constructed at a cost of £480.

1915

The lifeboat was launched for service on 12 November but owing to the force of the wind, was forced back on the shore and badly damaged.

1964

The D Class lifeboat sent to station in April.

1972

The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Acting Coxswain W McGill and crew member Roy Morris in recognition of their initiative and fine seamanship when two men were rescued by breeches buoy from the rocks at Cilan Head on 25 June.

1990

The boathouse adapted to accommodate the new Mersey Class lifeboat. This included the removal of the tractor house roof and the construction of a first floor, for improved crew facilities, the provision of a new fuel storage tank and a viewing platform.

1991

A Centenary Vellum awarded.

The new station Mersey class lifeboat ON1168 Lilly and Vincent Anthony was placed on service January 1991.

1994

The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum was accorded to Coxswain Robert Wright in recognition of his leadership skill and seamanship and A Framed letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman awarded to Emergency Mechanic Clive Moore in recognition of his courage and seamanship in boarding the yacht, rigging a tow and tending to the sick survivor, when the lifeboat went to the rescue of the five crew and saved the yacht Pollyann, in heavy seas and gale force winds in the darkness of the evening of 28 March. The yacht had lost her rudder on the south side of the notorious Sarn Badrig, St. Patricks Causeway and was in danger of being driven by the conditions into very hostile and shallow waters.

1997

The new station D class lifeboat D522 City of Chester was placed on service on Tuesday 5 August 1997. This lifeboat was provided from the proceeds of the City of Chester Lifeboat Appeal. 

2003

A Framed Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution presented to Coxswain Robert Wright in recognition of his skilful seamanship when the all weather lifeboat saved the yacht Idle Thoughts and her lone skipper on the night of 24 July 2003. The service was conducted in darkness in shallow water and south easterly Force 6 to 7 winds.

2007

A Framed Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution Admiral Sir Jock Slater presented to Helmsman Andy Green in recognition of his leadership and seamanship when the inshore lifeboat, in conjunction with other craft assisted 17 Laser dinghies and over 50 people when a planned class passage was disrupted by adverse weather conditions

The new station D class lifeboat D-676 Leslie and Peter Downes was placed on service on 22 August 2007.  This lifeboat was funded by the Downes Family and Friends in memory of Leslie who served his country in The Royal Navy during wartime and his younger son Peter who died pursuing his hobby of diving. Lifeboat D522 has been withdrawn to the relief fleet. 

2008

For services connected the Institution, voluntary service to maritime safety Coxswain Robert Wright was honoured by Her Majesty The Queen in the recent Birthday Honours; Member, Order of the British Empire (MBE).