Station history

The early history of the station is complicated by the fact that there does not appear to have been any clear distinction made between Dungeness, Lydd, Littlestone and New Romney.

In August 1861 a lifeboat named Providence which had been built the previous year for the Dungeness station was moved to Littlestone-on-Sea and in 1871 was replaced by another lifeboat named Dr Hatton which was provided with a new boathouse at New Romney, quite probably near to the site of the former Littlestone station. The records show the station as being named Dungeness/New Romney for the period 1861-1871, and the lives rescued during this time have been credited to the New Romney station.

1966

Station permanently established at Littlestone-on-Sea with a 16ft D class lifeboat.

1972

The D class lifeboat withdrawn and replaced with an Atlantic 17 in June.

1976

The Atlantic 17 withdrawn and replaced with an Atlantic 21 in August.

1977

A purpose built brick boathouse was constructed for the station's Atlantic 21 lifeboat.

1988

The new station Atlantic 21 class lifeboat B573 The Lady Dart and Long Life II was placed on service on 1 June 1988. This lifeboat was provided by New Romney and Littlestone Ladies Dart League and Allied Breweries.

2004

New launching ramp completed in September at a cost of £171,639.